About Girls in Tech
Girls in Tech is a global non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of women in technology and entrepreneurship. As women with the capacity to inspire and lead, it’s the organization’s desire to sustain an institution that focuses on the promotion, growth and success of entrepreneurial and innovative women in the technology space.
- Founded in 2007
- A 501©3 global organization focused on the Engagement, Education and Empowerment of influential women in technology
- Headquartered in San Francisco, CA
- Currently has 50 chapters around the world and over 25,000 members
How Girls in Tech was Born
Back in 2007, Adriana Gascoigne was the only female employee in a startup with 50 employees and decided “that was a problem.” Girls in Tech was born out of a need to provide a place for women to cultivate ideas around their careers and business concepts involving technology and entrepreneurship.
Adriana named the organization “Girls” vs. “Women” because it’s more “fun and lighthearted.” Men are encouraged to participate in its programs and share their ideas from a male perspective and join the mission to help bridge the gender gap in technology and entrepreneurship.
- To address the imbalance in the tech sector and get more girls and women involved in tech
- To get girls and women to think bigger and educate them on running a business, how to take risks, how to commercialize technology and encourage them to pursue their ideas
- Provide early exposure to women and encourage them to start younger and develop a stronger background in STEM
- Give girls and women the confidence they need to go head-to-head with their male classmates and colleagues
- Urge companies to get involved, either monetarily or as teachers and mentors, and have them play a big role in developing future leaders.
Girls in Tech Taiwan
Girls in Tech Taiwan was introduced in Aug 2015 by the leadership team at Taipei Women in Technology. The initial programs GIT Taiwan will focus on are Bootcamps and Hackathon. In 2016, we plan to launch GIT M(Mentorship), XChange and GIT Work.